Undertown is a vast network of abandoned tunnels and sunken streets underneath the city of Chicago.
Undertown is a network of caves, ruined buildings, tunnels, and ancient construction underneath Chicago. It is a dark, damp, cold place full of creatures that shun sunlight and human company. It might be radioactive.
Dresden's Chicago was a swamp, level with Lake Michigan. It kept sinking and the City kept building and layering upwards. The lower levels exist as a whole city under the street level of the City proper. There used to be a problem with rats and criminals that got crowded out by supernatural things that do not take well to sunlight, creating a mini-civilization.
In the seriesEdit
- Main article: Summer Knight (novel)
In Summer Knight, it served as the entrance for the Winter Court . When Harry went to talk with Maeve, the Winter Lady, he was guided through Undertown by Elidee of the Wee Folk, one of Toot-Toot's people. They entered it through the subway at Randolph and Wabash.
- Main article: Death Masks
In Death Masks, it is where the Denarians had set up shop. Nicodemus Archleone holds Harry Dresden captive under running cold water to nullify his magic. Nicodemus tries to recruit Dresden into the Denarians. Shiro trades himself for Dresden and then gives his Sword, Fidelacchius, into his keeping.
- Main article: White Night
- Main article: Something Borrowed
In "Something Borrowed", Georgia is kidnapped by Jenny Greenteeth, put under a sleeping spell, and brought to Undertown, where she was guarded by shellycobbs. Dresden and Murphy are forced to fight them in order to rescue her.
- Main article: Heorot
Billy: "So you're taking us into a maze of lightless, rotting, precarious tunnels full of evil faeries and monsters."
Harry: "Maybe leftover radiation, too."
Billy: "God, you're a fun guy."
- Google Maps - interactive picture of corner in daylight—arrows on bottom move your view around intersection, also clicking cursor on places, if get too close zoom out a little
- Randolph and Wabash | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Randolph and Wabash - II | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Randolph and Wabash - III | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Google Image Result for http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8458803798_388e3ed984_z.jpg
- Map of Wabash Randolph in Chicago
- Randolph/Wabash Station - CTA 'L' Train Station Information
- Manhattan Project (United States history) -- Encyclopedia Britannica
- The Manhattan Project [ushistory.org]
- The Manhattan Project
- The Manhattan Project: Making the Atomic Bomb | History of the Atomic Age | atomicarchive.com
- Manhattan Project - Wikipedia