- This article is for the estate. For other uses, see Raith.
The House has several wings and several stories and a couple of faux-castle turrets. Harry thinks that it could double as the HQ of a James Bond villian. It was bigger than a parking garage and covered with turrets, cornices and gargoyles. Harry calls it a "neo-Medieval castle. The house interior had a wealthy spendor: hardwood floors, custom carve woodworking, statues, fountains, suits of armor, original painting (even a Van Gough), stained glass windows. Household staff all wore uniforms. One wing had been converted into corporate office space where Lara Raith had her office and Justine worked as her assistant. Lara's office was styled with dark hardwood and was a functional working office.
The House was bordered by a well-manicured old-world forest with rolling hills and shapely trees covered in ivy. There were scattered small lit pools shrouded in mist. It stretched half a mile in the front of the estate. Harry dubs it "Little Sherwood". The forest prevents the estate from being visible from any of the roadways. It was abut a half-mile run before one can get clear from the trees; the grounds themselves were enourmous, and Harry Dresden thought he could not get away quickly or easily.
Lara's changes since Harry's previous visit: the eight-foot stone wall was topped with razor wire and lighting and cameras were spaced along the rim pointed toward the exterior. Lord Raith disdained for modern security, while Lara made serious upgrades after listening to her mortal staff.
The estate is located on the shore of Lake Michigan in a wealthy lakeside development north of Chicago, where the countryside has a variety of terrains, in a series of big expensive properties where it used to be flat farmland.
The first time Harry went to the Deeps, there is a raised dais ready for an intended ritual sacrifice, with Thomas Raith tied to it. There is a deep abyss and a lot of mist behind a carved throne for Lord Raith.
The second time Harry went to the Deeps, the path through the woods was red carpeted. Thrall offerings of fae and humans for the vampires to indulge in, either caged or tied to posts, lined the the way to the entrance to the cavern. The entrance was polished smooth, wide, wel-lit tunnel. The cave was like a Cathedral. It had carved throne for the White King. The lush frnishings were arranged for the three courts at the conclave and there was luxuroious soft lighting.
Anastasia Luccio thinks there may be mines implanted in the walls of the entry hall.
In the seriesEdit
- Main article: Blood Rites
In Blood Rites, Harry Dresden first visit to Chateau Raith was with Lara, Thomas and Inari Raith in the Blue Beetle escaping an attack by Black Court vampires sent by Mavra. Both Thomas and Inari are badly wounded. Lara extends the rights of hospitality to Harry Dresden.
The book's main events are:
- Lord Raith sends Inari to Harry's room for her first feeding which is intended to kill Harry and turn her into a White Court vampire.
- Thomas Raith makes a big revelation about his connection to Harry.
- Thomas is captured by his father, Lord Raith, in order to be sacrificed in an entropy curse to kill both of Margaret LeFay's sons to free him from her death curse.
- Main article: White Night
Harry Dresden and Carlos Ramirez attend a White Court conclave with the intention of challenging Madrigal Raith and Vittorio Malvora to a double duel with the accusation of breaking the accords by killing women practitioners. After the duel, Vittorio releases Ice-Age-looking ghouls and battle breaks out. House Raith and Harry's team band together to fight the monsters and to escape.
- Main article: Turn Coat
Harry and Anastasia Luccio investigate the White Court's involvement in several murder attempts on Harry and Donald Morgan's frame-up. While there, there is an attack by the Naagloshii who claims to have Thomas Raith and wants to trade him for Morgan. Many are killed and injured. Harry seeks out Luccio so that they can leave. Justine is there badly injured. She lets slip a bit too much information about Thomas in front of Luccio, who catches on that Thomas has a deeper connection to Harry.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Blood Rites, ch. 18
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Turn Coat, ch. 24
- ↑ White Night, ch. 26
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 White Night, ch. 35
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Blood Rites, ch. 40
- ↑ White Night, ch. 36
- ↑ White Night, ch. 37
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Turn Coat, ch. 28
- ↑ Blood Rites, ch. 20
- ↑ Blood Rites, ch. 20–21
- ↑ White Night, ch. 36–38
- ↑ White Night, ch. 38–42
- ↑ Turn Coat, ch. 24–27
- North Shore Chicago Map | Real Estate | @properties
- The 10 Most Expensive Properties on Chicago's North Shore | North Shore Views
- YoChicago’s list – A guide to Chicago’s North Shore suburbs
- Luxury Homes, Estates & Properties
- Estates and Gardens of Chicago’s North Shore - 10 July 2008
- North Shore (Chicago) - Wikipedia
- LIMESTONE HISTORIC LANDMARK MANSION