By knowing something's name, true name, a magical link can be created by associating yourself to it in a magical sense, in a similar way that you would if you had;hair, nail cliping, or blood. You have to know exactly how to say the name, just knowing it is not good enough.
In the Dresden Files, all beings have a name and a Name. Anytime anyone says your name it touches you, but when a Wizard, or a supernatural being, says your Name, and means it, the effect is amplified a thousandfold.
Names with a capital N, have power. If a wizard has an entity or persons name, they automatically have a conduit, a way to home in on it. 
- Wizards collect names of creatures, spiirits and people. Like a huge supernatural Rolodex. 
- Some of the more powerful creatures in the Dresden-verse, like Ferrovax only need one part of a Name to influence said being. 
- Some of the beings are too powerful and be very dangerous and probably not a good idea to call. However, there are countless lesser beings with lesser price tags and it's not so hard to get them to one's bidding. 
- A mortal's Name can change over time due to how their perception of themself can change, whereas most supernatural being's Name is static and unchanging. 
In the SeriesEdit
- Harry Dresden - Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
- Elaine Mallory - Elaine Lilian Mallory
- Erlking - When a certain poem from Die Lied der Erlking is spoken under certain conditions, it forms the Erlking's true name and can be used to summon and trap him.
- Molly Carpenter - Margaret Katherine Amanda Carpenter
Some Names Harry has CollectedEdit
- Toot-toot's ~ (true name is a secret)
- "Chauncy" ~ Chaunzaggoroth 
- Lea ~ The Leanansidhe 
- Mab ~ The Winter Queen 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Storm Front, ch. 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Grave Peril, ch. 26
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Small Favor, ch. 5
- ↑ Fool Moon, ch. 11
- ↑ Grave Peril, ch. 11
- ↑ Dead Beat, ch. 21
- ↑ Changes, ch. 29-30