He is a tall, gangly, man with a shaved head. His actual age is indeterminate; "somewhere between thirty and sixty." When he works, he wears black pants, a white shirt, and a white apron that's always spotless. He is a man of few words and few overt expressions, but when he says something, or emotes, it's worth paying attention to. He seems to be generally very wise and unrufflable.
He is something of an unsolved mystery throughout the series. To all appearances, he's not anything but human, yet he knows an enormous amount about the supernatural community,
- He has managed to make his bar neutral territory under the Unseelie Accords.
- Harry calls Mac a "beeromancer" after he brought out his private stash.
- He seems to be on first-name basis with both of the Faerie Ladies and Fix, as well as with Anastasia Luccio and Donald Morgan.
- He drives a white '89 Trans Am—Mac loans it to Harry in Storm Front.
- In Cold Days, the Outsider, Sharkface, knew who Mac was, calling him "Watcher".
- He makes the best ale in Chicago, and gets irritated if you want it served cold, as that takes away all of the flavor. He also makes lemon ice-cubes to go with his lemonade, so that it doesn't get watered down. He specializes in steak and steak sandwiches.
- He speaks at least a little Japanese.
In the series Edit
- Main article: Fool Moon
- Main article: Death Masks
In Death Masks, when Harry entered the bar, Mac caught his eye then nodded to a sign on the wall that said: "ACCORDED NEUTRAL TERRITORY". Then he pulled out a shotgun from under the bar and said, "Got it?", Harry responds, "No problem". This was just before the meeting of the seconds with the emissary to establish weapons for the duel between Harry and Paolo Ortega.
- Main article: Changes
In Changes, he is the first person Harry Dresden talks to about his daughter. Mac listens intently as Harry tells him about Susan Rodriguez, what happened and about being an orphan and that he will not let that happen to his little girl. Mac then says some profoundly, and somewhat prophetic, wise words.
- Main article: Cold Days
In Cold Days, when the Outsider, Sharkface, demanded that Harry be sent out to him under threat of attack on his pub, Harry offered to take it outside under the Accords. Mac chose to defend Harry instead. Sharkface recognized Mac and called "Watcher" and "empty" and said that Mac chose his road a long time ago. Mac, Harry and Thomas fought off Sharkface till he left. Harry pressed Mac for what he knows about this Outsider but Mac insisted that he'll stay out of it. Just before Harry left, Mac covertly passed information to him using three beer bottle to symbolically say that there of three of them (meaning three Walkers as Harry later finds out).
Later, Mac, along with Harry's other friends—Butters, Andi, Justine—were kidnapped by the Redcap. Unlike Harry's other friends however, Mac is not tied up. Mac is later called The Watcher.(ref?)
Word of ButcherEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Death Masks, ch. 17
- ↑ Small Favor, ch. 17
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Proven Guilty, ch. 19
- ↑ Dead Beat, ch. 30
- ↑ Storm Front, ch. 24
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Cold Days, ch. 22
- ↑ Changes, ch. 01: "Something like this will test you like nothing else. You're going to find out who you are, Harry. You're going to find out which principles you'll cross. You're heading into the badlands. It'll be easy to get lost."
- ↑ Cold Days, ch. 35
- ↑ Cold Days, ch. 37
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPzHhdyVNE&feature=related
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKr8UERpto