A focus (pl. foci) is an object through with magic is focused.
Foci are mainly used for evocations. They assist wizards that are unable to summon enough will to control the magic.While it is possible to use magic without a focus, it is unadvised.
Foci are items designed to help focus power. They are generally used when a wizard is unable to bring up the control needed for a spell. Foci are mainly used in evocations. Described as "quick and dirty" , they are akin to a punch compared with higher levels of martial arts.The wizard channels his power through the nessesary focus when using one. Probably the most common type of focus that is used is the staff. The only wizard of any ability known not to use a staff is Elaine Mallory.
In the series
List of foci
- Staff: The most common focus used. It is used to control general energies and is not specialised.
- Blasting rod: A combat focus that is used to contol fire.
- Shield bracelet: Creates various types of force fields depending on the bracelet.
List of individual foci
- Harry Dresden's cane sword: Belonging to Harry and inscribed with runes, this cane sword is enchanted to focus earth magic, namely magnetism.
- Harry's Energy-Storing Rings: Rings used by Harry that store a portion of kinetic energy, which Harry uses for his force spell, forzare.
- Carlos' Gauntlet: A gauntlet that is so far unique to Carlos, it allows Carlos to fire a partial disintegration beam using entropic energy, a specialized form of water-based magic.