In Fool Moon, Harry Dresden saw her in his dream as he remembers her. Eighteen, tall with gawky coltish legs and arms. She wore a pair of his jeans cut off, t-shirt tied off, a pentacle amulet identical to his. Dresden thinks she's beautiful and poisonous as a snake.
In White Night, he describes her as pale like the healthy skin of a tree beneath its outer bark. Her face was intensely and intriguingly attractive. She had wide intelligent eyes over an expresive and generous mouth, a slim build, long legs and arms. She wore a simple pair of jeans with a black Aerosmith t-shirt. Her hair was wheat-colored. — Elaine was the first woman he ever "everythinged".
Elaine is an orphan. When she was ten years old, she was adopted by wizard Justin DuMorne, who took her as his apprentice. DuMorne had already done this with another orphaned wizard of the same age, Harry Dresden.
During their apprenticeship, she and Dresden became very close, eventually becoming Dresden's girlfriend. They Soulgazed during their first night together. DuMorne had began dabbling in Black Magic, and brought his sights upon Elaine first, her being weaker magically speaking, about a week before he attempted to enthrall Dresden. He enthralled her, bending her to his will. Elaine later helped DuMorne in his battle with Dresden, slapping a binding on him during the fighting. After Dresden defeated DuMorne, Dresden scoured the earth with the assistance of spirits never finding her, and assumed her dead.
In truth, Elaine escaped during the last few minutes of their battle, when DuMorne's attention and power was focused elsewhere, allowing her to break the enthrallment spell. She sought sanctuary with Aurora, the Lady of the Summer Court. She resided in the Nevernever until called upon by Aurora in repayment for her shelter, to act a emissary for the Summer Court in the matter of the death of Ronald Reuel, the Summer Knight.
- Chain - A chain that stores electricity, allowing it to be used like a Taser. It can be recharged by lightning, or from a wall outlet.
- Ring - A ring very similar to Harry Dresden's original energy ring, storing random short-term memories rather than kinetic energy. These memories can be used to induce hallucinations on an attacker, disorienting them.(reference needed)
- Thorn wand - a carved wooden wand which looks like a very large thorn. It functions similarly to Dresden's blasting rod, using lightning in place of fire.
- Coppery bracelets - Elaine wore half a dozen of them. They glinted with golden energy.
- Pentacle amulet - identical to Dresden's.
- Aerios: Summons a miniature twister.
- Fulminaris: Shoots a powerful bolt of green lightning.
- Samanyana: Unravels a wind spell Aurora had pinned Harry Dresden with.
In the seriesEdit
- Main article: Fool Moon
In Fool Moon, in a dream, Harry Dresden recalls her as a poisonous snake and closes himself from remembering the image of her in her circle chanting the spell that held him down while Justin DuMorne tried to force him to drink blood, to enthrall him. Dresden's dream-self tries to convince Harry that she is still alive and that he needs to forgive himsef for her fall.
- Main article: Summer Knight (novel)
In Summer Knight, Elaine Mallory is indeed alive. She explains that she was enthralled by Justin DuMorne and begs for Harry Dresden's help as she ends up as emissary for Aurora, the Summer Lady.
- Main article: White Night
In White Night, Elaine Mallory has opened her own PI buisness, and is also in the phonebook under 'wizard'. She is hired by the Ordo Lebes, whose members are being targeted and killed. One of Harry Dresden's friends, and a warden, Carlos Ramirez comments on this. Elaine and Dresden track missing practitioners, then she fights ghouls on Thomas Raith's boat, the Water Beetle trying to help targeted practitioners escape Madrigal Raith's attack. Elaine heals Harry after the ghoul attack usingReiki, for about eight hours.
Later, Dresden communicates to Elaine mind to mind, awaking her from The Skavis psychic attack. Elaine shows how strong she is by nearly killing the heir of House Skavis who'd attempted to force her to commit suicide. At the end, Elaine agrees to help expand the Ordo Lebes, and to build a network and hotline to help partitioners help themselves against supernatural threats.
- Main article: Ghost Story
In Ghost Story, Harry Dresden's ghost was overwhelmed by a flood of memories of Elaine when they were kids, including their first kiss, as well as the guilt of not protecting her from Justin DuMorne. While sheltering from the sun in his grave, Dresden recalls the day he came home early from school worried about her, finding her enthralled, though he didn't know at the time what he was seeing.
Word of ButcherEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Summer Knight, ch. 7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Fool Moon, ch. 20
- ↑ White Night, ch. 10
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 White Night, ch. 24
- ↑ Blood Rites, ch. 20
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Summer Knight, ch. 8
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 White Night, ch. 20
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Summer Knight, ch. 33
- ↑ White Night, ch. 26
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 White Night, ch. 21
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 White Night, ch. 31
- ↑ White Night, ch. 11
- ↑ White Night, ch. 17
- ↑ White Night, ch. 23
- ↑ White Night, ch. 30
- ↑ White Night, ch. 43
- ↑ Ghost Story, ch. 9
- ↑ Ghost Story, ch. 30
- ↑ Jim Butcher 2010 Fan dinner