"For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Dodging flaming monkey poo, for instance. Or going toe-to-leaf with a walking plant monster. Still, there's something more troubling than usual about his newest case. The film's producer believes he's the target of a sinister entropy curse, but it's the women around him who are dying, in increasingly spectacular ways.
Harry's doubly frustrated because he got involved with this bizarre mystery only as a favor to Thomas, his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can't quite figure out, until his investigation leads him straight to Thomas's oversexed vampire family. Harry's about to discover that Thomas's family tree has been hiding a shocking secret: a revelation that will change Harry's life forever." 
Plot points introduced
- Thomas Raith is actually Harry's half-brother, sharing the same mother.
- Harry inadvertently adopts Mouse.
- Ebenezar McCoy reveals that he is the White Council's Blackstaff, and that he mentored Harry's mother, Margaret.
- Kincaid is revealed to be part-demon.
- Harry discovers that he can now wield Hellfire, as a result of picking up Lasciel's coin.
- Harry's mother did not die naturally from complications from childbirth, but was actually killed by an entropy curse cast by Lord Raith.
- Murphy, Kincaid, and Harry take on a group of vampires and their human thralls, an act which will have consequences in Dead Beat.
- Harry burns his left hand horribly in the fight with Mavra's scourge, an injury which will trouble and handicap him from now on.
- Lara Raith gains control over her father, making her the ruler of the White Court with her father acting as figurehead.
- Main article: List of The Dresden Files characters
- ↑ Butcher, Jim. "Blood Rites", back cover.